Πέμπτη 11 Ιουνίου 2009

UNI interview

VIBE: Who approached whom about the track initially?

Thurzday: Green Label Sound and Cornerstone approached us with this dope opportunity. We're ecstatic that they took an ear to our music and approved of what we are doing and that they are willing to get involved with our movement.

Y-O: Yeah, they offered us a phenomenal single deal that we couldn't turn down. Immediately, we already had in mind to record over the monster Ro Blvd made.

Thematically, was the idea always geared toward speaking on Los Angeles?

Thurzday: Not entirely. The concept of the song was to shine light on our work ethic and determination in getting to our current state. With no helping hand, we've made the proper moves to establish ourselves. As far as L.A., there are many obstacles to overcome, and we feel that we’re kings for doing the unexpected—making the music we want and never losing sight of who we are. Thus, we have earned the right to be in the “Land of the Kings.”

Y-O: We made this record based off obstacles we've had in the past and describing what we see as kings today on our land. Throughout my verse I wanted to paint a picture that was clear for everyone and would make sense when we shoot the video with Tomas Whitmore.

A piano solo opens the song and gives it a very U2 / Coldplay feel. What kind of vibe where you going for?

Y-O: Wow, that's funny you mention that. I remember the first night Ro played it for me. We were taking a road trip to San Diego for a crazy show for a frat party, and before we left, Ro wanted me to come over so he could play this monster for me. As soon as the piano started playing I got chills and just stood up from my seat. As the track came in I turned to Ro and said, “This gives me a Coldplay feeling.” I have this weird thing when I don't think about things and just say what's on my mind, and majority of the time it comes true. After he was done blasting the speakers I said, “I don't know exactly what’s gonna happen, but this is gonna be huge when we put it out.”

Thurzday: Also, we aim to never be redundant with our songs. Ro had a vision of Coldplay meeting hip hop, and he was able to capture that feeling with this track. We never want to be boxed in and continually compared with other artists who don’t share our passion and creativity.

Y-O, you mentioned something about getting a children’s choir on the original version. What happened with that?

Y-O: Yeah, I told Ro I wanted to get a church choir to sing on the hook. Take note, I only told Ro that. The very next day my man Thurz says to Ro we should use a kid’s choir [laughs]. Pretty crazy, right? I swear we always think of the same thing. So when I heard that, I was up for it. I reached out to a church and asked if the kid’s choir would be up for singing on the record for us and they said the parents didn’t approve of the lyrics on the song [laughs]. So now I’m scrambling around looking for a choir and we have a deadline. I got in contact with another church and the response was “We’re too busy, sorry.” So on the hook all you hear is Thurzday’s younger brother, cousin and their neighborhood friend who’s a little kid that stands about 5’9” [laughs]. To me the record has more meaning now; we went from trying to get a full choir of kids to using our family and friends that sound amazing. But the craziest thing about this record is all three of us—myself, Thurzday and Ro—came up with separate hooks in our spare time and we basically didn’t say no to any of them. The first four bars of the hook where I sing with the kids--“sunshine no don’t go away”—is the idea Thurz came up with. The second part of the hook that goes “somewhere over the rainbow,” Ro came up with. And at the end of the record where I’m singing over the trumpet is the hook I had in mind. I just thought that was very creative of us and shows that anything goes. Instead of using one hook, we were able to fit everyone’s idea within the record. Priceless.

Thurz, you rap, “a dude said I’d be the illest when pigs fly/ that must be true/ ’cause look swine flu.” Right now, is U-N-I the best they’ve ever been?

Thurzday: All I can say to that question is that this is just the beginning, and that we’ve created our own lane. We are the best at being U-N-I.

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: